Re: HTML 3: Too many tags! (was re: Psychology and usefulness)

Steve Graham (sdgraham@interramp.com)
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 16:02:12 -0400

From: Steve Graham <sdgraham@interramp.com>
To: "'lilley'" <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>, Steve Graham <sdgraham@interramp.com>
Cc: "mikebat@clark.net" <mikebat@clark.net>,
Subject: RE: HTML 3: Too many tags! (was re: Psychology and usefulness)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 16:02:12 -0400

>>There are two possibilities here, and I am not sure which you mean.
>>1) You want the user agent to present all quotes in the way you are=20
>>used to.

>>2) You want to be able to explicitly author these two versions, such
>>as for an example of useage in different languages.

Intuitvely, I think that the best usage is to retain a simple <q> with =
the expectation that the browser will know it's swiss and not =
german-german.

... that way a German-speaker who reads French and receives =
<q>alors</q> will see it as =BBalors=AB in the German manner rather than =
=ABalors=BB which is the French manner. Seems OK to me.

(I have an ill-defined theory that browsers ought to know a number of =
things, e.g. time zone, decimal representation, quote style, etc. )

Steve Graham
The Associated Press