Re: HTML 3: Too many tags! (was re: Psychology and usefulness)

Steve Graham (sdgraham@interramp.com)
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 09:22:53 -0400

From: Steve Graham <sdgraham@interramp.com>
To: "'Mike Batchelor'" <mikebat@clark.net>
Subject: RE: HTML 3: Too many tags! (was re: Psychology and usefulness)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 09:22:53 -0400

>>Well, <Q> is a text level markup, like <I> and <B>.  It is suggested =
that
>>text within <Q></Q> be rendered enclosed with quotation marks, or =
other
>>punctuation appropriate to the language.  <BQ> is used to indicate a
>>quoted passage of text is enclosed.  The two are quite different, and =
>>think <Q> should stay in, so that on your German browser, the =
quotations
>>would be rendered as the double-greater-than/double-less-than marks =
(what are those called) and on >>English browsers, as "".

1, They are called "Left-Pointing Double Angle Quotation Mark" and =
"Right-Pointing Double Angle Quotation Mark"

2, Moreover, there's no agreement on which is the "opening" or "closing" =
mark ... not even in the same language. (and the ISO definition is no =
help)

In Germany, common usage is =BBIch liebe Bier=AB and in Switzerland, =
it's =ABIch liebe Bier=BB=20

(I make no value judgment as the relative quality of the brew itself)

Steve Graham
The Associated Press