Re: color: NCSA Mosaic, Netscape, and HTML3

Joe English (
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 20:06:16 -0700

Subject: Re: color: NCSA Mosaic, Netscape, and HTML3
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 20:06:16 -0700
From: Joe English <>

Lou Montulli <> wrote:
> > Perhaps; perhaps not.  If you think they're good ideas, why not
> > submit a formal proposal to the HTML working group?
> They have been.  I came with a list of ideas to the last IETF and
> presented them to Dave Raggert and whoever else that would listen.

Ah.  Could you post your ideas to too?
That way it'll get archived for reference purposes.
(Plus, as far as I know, if it's not posted to the mailing
list it "doesn't count"; please correct me if I'm wrong.)

> > [ "if LINK, ALINK, and VLINK, why not LINKICONPLACEMENT etc.?" ]
> There is a big difference here.  We implemented BODY BACKGROUND
> and found that it was impossible to use without TEXT, LINK and VLINK
> because you could use a background that caused the text and
> links to become unreadable.  We therefore had no choice but
> to add the attributes to make backgrounds usable.

That makes sense; I still think that LINK, VLINK, and ALINK
are poorly named at best, and at worst the third step down a
very slippery slope.  But that's a philosophical issue...

> [...]
> Just tell netscape to always use your background image or color
> and ignore any set by the document.  You can do that in the
> prefs or in your Xresources.

Aha!  Why couldn't I find this before?