Re: In-line HTML files?

Daniel W. Connolly (
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 22:01:39 -0400

To: (Keith Rogers)
Cc: Thomas Boutell <>
Cc: HTP Writers Guild <>
Subject: Re: In-line HTML files?
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 22:01:39 -0400
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <>

In message <>, Keith Rogers writes:
>Is there some facility in HTML for automatically including another HTML
>file within
>a main HTML file, much like the IMG tag includes a graphics file?

This is a very frequently asked question.

I hate to beg, but...

would one of the knowledgeable and capable HTML book/intro/tutorial
writers research this issue and submit an answer to the WWW FAQ

Currently, that would be  Thomas Boutell <>

Basically, the options are:

existing technologies:
	server-side includes (see NCSA server doc)
	cpp/m4/text preprocessor of your choice
possible developments:
		(we've got a student implementing this, by the way!
			Hi Alex!)

	Real SGML Entities (tm)

Daniel W. Connolly        "We believe in the interconnectedness of all things"
Research Associate, MIT/W3C   PGP: EDF8 A8E4 F3BB 0F3C  FD1B 7BE0 716C FF21