Re: color: NCSA Mosaic, Netscape, and HTML3

Lou Montulli (montulli@strumpet.mcom.com)
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 12:43:45 -0700

From: "Lou Montulli" <montulli@strumpet.mcom.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 12:43:45 -0700
To: Mike Batchelor <mikebat@clark.net>, www-html@www10.w3.org,
Subject: Re: color: NCSA Mosaic, Netscape, and HTML3

> I don't have a problem with NCSA implementing the Netscape <body>
> attributes in the new WinMosaic.  I have a problem with them documenting
> them as being part of HTML v3.0, when they clearly are not.  NCSA is
> considered an authority by many people on things to do with the WWW.  It's
> unfortunate enough that Netscape is disseminating mis-information to
> bolster its bottom line, at the expense of the Web as a whole.  That NCSA
                                                                  ^^^^^^^^^
> is contributing to the trend of fragmenting the Web into vendor-specific
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ghettos is doubly unfortunate.  I just wrote them a note pointing out the
> error, and kindly asking them to correct it to reflect the true status of
> the HTML v3 DTD.

If multiple vendors are supporting these BODY tags then they
are obviously not vendor-specific.  Perhaps they are just a
good idea that should be added to the HTML 3 spec?

:lou
--
Lou Montulli                 http://www.mcom.com/people/montulli/
       Netscape Communications Corp.