Re: <FIG> implies <P>?

Mike Batchelor (mikebat@clark.net)
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 16:15:27 -0400 (EDT)

From: Mike Batchelor <mikebat@clark.net>
Subject: Re: <FIG> implies <P>?
To: www-html@www10.w3.org, www-style@www10.w3.org
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 16:15:27 -0400 (EDT)

Michael Johnson once wrote...

> I can think of one good reason why a FIG implies a paragraph break, which
> has to do with HTML semantics, and that is this:
>
> <FIG> can contain tags which implicitly end any current paragraph. Therefore,

Thanks Michael (and Chris T, Chris L, Andrew M, etc.) for explaining this.

> The style for P.before.figure could suppress the trailing line break and the
> style for P.after.figure could suppress the leading line break and top margin.
> This would give something like:
>
>    In 1863 Abraham Lincoln delivered an address on the
>    battlefield at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. He began
>    this address with the     +-----------------------+
>    now-famous phrase "Four   |                       |
>    score and seven years     |                       |
>    ago, our forefathers      |                       |
>    brought forth on this     |                       |
>    continent a new nation"   |                       |
>
> This would require the browser to remember where it was formatting text before
> it encountered the figure in order to join the lines properly, but that
> shouldn't be hard.

This is exactly the sort of effect I am looking for.  Now that I
understand why a <fig> breaks a paragraph, I'd support a style sheet
mechanism for lining a <fig> up with the paragraphs around it.

--
 %%%%%% mikebat@clark.net %%%%%% http://www.clark.net/pub/mikebat/www/ %%%%%%