Re: <FIG> implies <P>?

lilley (lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk)
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 13:40:53 +0100 (BST)

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: <FIG> implies <P>?
To: mikebat@clark.net (Mike Batchelor)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 13:40:53 +0100 (BST)
Cc: www-html@www10.w3.org

Mike Batchelor wrote:

> Why should it be this way?  I can't think of any compelling reason why a
> <FIG> has to imply a paragraph break.

> > >xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >xxxxxxxxxxxxxx +-----+
> > >xxxxxxxxxxxxxx |     |
> > >xxxxxxxxxxxxxx |     |
> > >xxxxxxxxxxxxxx |     |
> > >xxxxxxxxxxxxxx +-----+
> > >xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

How would you suggest laying out the following, assuming FIG can be
contained inside P:

<P CLASS="outer">xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx etc etc
<FIG ALIGN="RIGHT" SRC="blah.png"><CAPTION>Something</CAPTION><P>yyyyy</P>
<H3>Minor heading</H3><P>zzzzz</P></FIG>
more xxxxxxxxxxxxx</P>

and would the string "more xxxxxxxx" be contained in a P of class outer?

It sounds as if you are asking for arbitrary nesting of paragraphs etc
inside other paragraphs.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author
|       Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre        |