Re: <FIG> implies <P>?

Rainer Klute (klute@nads.de)
Wed, 12 Jul 1995 09:34:50 +0200

To: Mike Batchelor <mikebat@clark.net>
Cc: www-html@www10.w3.org, "Rainer Klute" <klute@nads.de>
Subject: Re: <FIG> implies <P>?
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 09:34:50 +0200
From: Rainer Klute <klute@nads.de>

>I've noticed with Arena, that using a <FIG> implies a <P>.  Is this
>intentional?
>
>Example:  I want to put a <FIG> in the middle of a paragraph, and have
>that paragraph wrap around the top, side and bottom of the <FIG>.  So I do
>this:

>Typing, words, the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.  La dee
>dah, more content here, and now I will put
><FIG src="image.gif align=right>
>a figure in the middle of my paragraph.  This is some more content to my
>paragraph, and this ought to wrap around the top, side, and bottom of the
>figure.

According to the HTML 3 DTD a FIG element is not allowed inside a P
element and terminates the P when it occurs. Here's your example in
a normalize form (and please note that your notation of the FIG
element itself was not right:

Typing, words, the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.  La dee
dah, more content here, and now I will put</p>
<fig src="image.gif" align="right">
<caption>The caption for my figure</caption>
<figtext></figtext>
</fig>
paragraph, and this ought to wrap around the top, side, and bottom of the
figure.</p>

Best regards
Rainer Klute

  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute        NADS - Advertising on nets
  NADS GmbH
  Emil-Figge-Str. 80                Tel.: +49 231 9742570
D-44227 Dortmund                    Fax:  +49 231 9742571

            <http://www.nads.de/~klute/>