Re: Wish List for New Spec

David Mandl (
Sun, 31 Dec 1995 12:51:41 -0500

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 1995 12:51:41 -0500
To: Philippe-Andre Prindeville <>,
From: (David Mandl)
Subject: Re: Wish List for New Spec

At 8:01 AM 12/30/95, Philippe-Andre Prindeville wrote:
>On Dec 29, 14:27, wrote:

>> I assumed we _were_ talking about both (as opposed to only markup).
>> Having only markup would be a big problem, because in those cases
>> where the author wanted to use a foreign quotation as-is (with the
>> original "foreign" quotation marks and quoting style), there'd be no
>> way to transmit it.  If there were only one choice, it'd have to be
>> entities only, to avoid this problem.
>What?  One of us has misunderstood something here.  What about
><q lang=fr>Fous le camp, quitte vite et plus t&ocirc;t que cela
>Nos honn&ecirc;tes Ardennes.</q>
>Since the context is obviously French, the quote will be
>enclosed in "<<" and ">>"...

But in this case, the "<q lang=fr>" is an exact synonym for "<<", isn't it?
It doesn't buy you anything.  I thought the original intention of <q> was
to make documents language-independent, which is something that can't be
conveyed with entities alone.  What your example says is "Substitute French
quotation marks for the <q lang=fr>."  OK, so why not just type in the
French quotation marks yourself?  The only advantage I can see is that if
there's some client or computer that can't display those actual characters,
it can substitute other ones.  But why can't it substitute another
character for the _entity_?

>Only problem is that an editor should no well enough to add
>a language attribute when importing fragments from different
>language documents.

I assume you mean the human kind of editor.  So you mean "I'm an American
keying in this French document and I don't know what the French quoting
convertions are, so I'd like the clients to take care of it for me"?  That
seems more reasonable, I guess.  Still, that's not the way I understood the
proposal, which (again) I thought was intended to make documents

Regards and bonne ann&eacute;e.

Dave Mandl