Re: Wish List for New Spec

BearHeart / Bill Weinman (BearHeart@bearnet.com)
Fri, 29 Dec 95 12:55 CST

Date: Fri, 29 Dec 95 12:55 CST
To: www-html@w3.org
From: BearHeart / Bill Weinman <BearHeart@bearnet.com>
Subject: Re: Wish List for New Spec

>At least French, German and English all use different symbols for quotation
>marks, but the abstract idea is the same -- there is an opening quote and a
>close quote. Elsewhere it was pointed out that quotes nest differently in
>British and American English. All of these seem to me to be excellent
>arguments to use markup instead of entities. With markup, the same
>convention would be used across languages, but with entities, different
>entitities will be needed in each language.

   I could just as easily use the same argument to support entities
over markup--and in fact that's how the argument resolves to me.

   The better solution is to have both available.

 * BearHeart / Bill Weinman
 * BearHeart@bearnet.com *            * http://www.bearnet.com/ *
 * Author of The CGI Book:    * http://www.bearnet.com/cgibook/ *
 * "To enjoy life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks."
                                                       --Lazarus Long