Re: Wish List for New Spec

Philippe-Andre Prindeville (
Thu, 28 Dec 95 07:12:32 +0100

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 95 07:12:32 +0100
From: Philippe-Andre Prindeville <>
To:, (Ben Breakstone),
Subject: Re: Wish List for New Spec

On Dec 27, 21:16, Michael Seaton wrote:
> (Ben Breakstone) wrote:
> [ snip ]
> > I believe the absence of typesetter's (or "curly," or "smart") quotation
> > marks from the english HTML entity set to be a grievous omission.
> These could be hinted at in the current standard by using <Q> </Q>.
> However this is still not a full substitute for having entity names,
> since there will likely be cases in which a solitary quote is desired.

Yes, indeed.  You might have several paragraphs all from the same
person, with no interruption.  In that case, each paragraph would start
with a left double quote, but no closing quote would be necessary.
So you could make </q> optional, like </p> is.  Note: this is
highly language dependent.  Not all latin scripted languages follow
this convention.  I know French doesn't, for example.