(no subject)

Eric S. Raymond (esr@locke.ccil.org)
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 15:59:56 -0500 (EST)

From: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@locke.ccil.org>
Subject: Re:
To: mwm@contessa.phone.net (Mike Meyer)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 15:59:56 -0500 (EST)
Cc: www-html@w3.org

> How should browsers that aren't doing presentation in a 2d media treat
> PAGE?

Generally, as a request for user action before continuing the normal
display progression.  Tell me what other sorts of media you have in mind and
we'll discuss specific cases.

>> This tag would have obvious utility when using HTML as a description language
>> for text formatting.
>
> The 8th word is misspelled - it should be "abusing".

I must differ most emphatically, sir.  As electronic publishing grows more
important, nobody who does dual-mode is going to avoid noticing how wasteful
it is to maintain multiple markups of the same material.  There will be
pressure for dual-mode support and it will evolve; the only question is
wether it will be a graceful, standardized set of features or a bunch of
ugly ad-hoc kluges.  I would prefer the former and will press for it.

> My gut reaction is that this is a style sheet issue, and DIV is the
> correct place to hang the behavior. Of course, there's already lots of
> things in HTML that would be improved by integrating them with the DIV
> tag.

You may be right.  But there is still a question about how to get this
behavior in the absence of an explicit style sheet.