Re: partial URLs ? (was <p> ... </p>)

Patrick McManus (
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 09:08:23 -0500 (EST)

From: Patrick McManus <>
Subject: Re: partial URLs ? (was <p> ... </p>)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 09:08:23 -0500 (EST)

In a previous episode...William C. Cheng said:
-> It seems to be true that "/../" is not forbidden explicitely.  Now,
-> can anyone give me an example where http://foo/b/../bar.html and
-> http://foo/bar.html should _not_ be interpreted the same way?  Forget
-> about the UNIX-centric business (we all know where DOS gets its "\"
-> and Mac gets its ":") because all these systems basically have
-> hierarchical file systems.  So the real question is whether a "/"
-> separator in an URL implies a level change in a hierarchy.

I don't think the question is whether / is a level change, but whether
.. is considered a level up. I'm pondering an http server on top of a
Relational Database instead of a filesystem and I'd think the URLs
would look somnething like :

The '/' is definitely heirarchical in some sense but .. doesn't make
much sense. (The scheme here is just speculation at the momemnt.. I am
still kicking the idea around in my head)..

Patrick R. McManus	NYSERNet, Inc.		Information Services		Systems and Network Programming
* - You Kill Nostalgia, Xenophobic Fears. It's Now or Neverland. - *