ContentS of HTML Containers

Michael J Hannah (mjhanna@sandia.gov)
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 10:46:14 +0700

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 10:46:14 +0700
From: mjhanna@sandia.gov (Michael J Hannah)
To: chuck@pipex.net
Subject: ContentS of HTML Containers
Cc: www-html@w3.org

It is absolutely correct that the proper place to look for the
official answer of what is allowed with the content of a given
HTML element is the DTD in the approved RFC 1866.  It takes only
a short time to learn this DTD notation.

However, for a "non-official" answer you might check my Reference
Manual for HTML.  I do my best to keep it current and correct.
   http://www.sandia.gov/sci_compute/html_ref.html

Looking up the <P> element in the list of elements it specifies that
the contents of P can contain members of group "text".  If you follow
the hyperlinks, you will find that the "text" group does not include
the "list" group.  Therefore the <UL> implies the end of the paragraph.

The DTD is the official source, but for a quick check you might find
my Reference Manual a faster way to find the information.

Michael J. Hannah                         "Opinions are mine only,
Scientific Computing Systems               and will change without notice
Department 4918, Mail Stop 0807            whenever appropriate."

   _/       _/_/  _/  _/         SANDIA NATIONAL LABORATORIES      _/_/
  _/_/_/   _/ _/ _/  _/         Scientific Computing Systems  _/_/_/_/_/_/
       /  _/  _/_/  _/         Albuquerque, NM 87185-0807    _/  _/_/  _/
                                                              _/_/_/
           "Exceptional Service in the National Interest"