Forms and scrolled lists

Philippe-Andre Prindeville (philipp@res.enst.fr)
Wed, 20 Dec 95 00:44:27 +0100

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 95 00:44:27 +0100
From: Philippe-Andre Prindeville <philipp@res.enst.fr>
To: www-html@www10.w3.org
Subject: Forms and scrolled lists

Hi.

        I'm working on a form where the user has to choose from a
very large list (about 100K entries) of data, being single lines
of text.  I want to provide a single-choice list of words, with
a scrollbar next to it.

        The scrollbar represents which screenfull (say 20 lines) out
of the ~100K lines the user sees.  Clicking on a line should
select that line as the key for a search.  Clicking on the scrollbar
should reload the form with data from another part of the list...

	I hope this is clear...

	Anyway, I'm looking in the html3.0 document for tips
on using scrollbars (or sliders?) but I haven't found anything
except a cursory mention of "Range controls (slidres, or knobs)".

Thanks,

-Philip