Re: Referencing orginal documents, When to use <p></p>

lilley (lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk)
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 18:12:00 +0000 (GMT)

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Referencing orginal documents, When to use <p></p>
To: chuck@pipex.net
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 18:12:00 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: www-html@w3.org

Chuck said:

> One of the things that I get confused over is when to use </p>, if at
> all.

In general, miss it out. But remember that <p> goes at the *beginning*
of a paragraph.

> For example, I might be writing something and then make a couple
> of points:

> 	blah blah, for example:
> 	<ul>
> 	<li>one
> 	<li>two
> 	</ul>
> 	and then blah blah.
>
> Would that be correct,

not really, if you intend the </p> to match up with the earlier <p>
The list terminates the paragraph, rather than  being encloded within it.
So what you have is

        blah blah, for example:
        <ul>
        <li>one
        </li>        <====== inferred by parser on encountering <li>
        <li>two
        </li>        <====== inferred by parser on encountering <li>
        </ul>        <====== this one can't be omitted
        and then blah blah. <=== not actually in a paragraph

Instead, what you probably meant was:

        <ul>
        <li>one
        <li>two
        </ul>

> This is a simple example of course. Other examples are page lists,
> which might be:
>
> 	<h2>     </h2>
> 	<ul>
> 	<li>
> 	</ul>
>
> Should a <p> .. </p> be there too?

No. You have a heading followed by a list, but no paragraphs.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |