Re: When to use <p></p>

lilley (
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 11:20:52 +0000 (GMT)

From: lilley <>
Subject: Re: When to use <p></p>
To: (Michael Godsey)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 11:20:52 +0000 (GMT)

"This is rumour control. Here are the facts" (Aliens 3)

Michael Godsey made the following assertion:

> <P> is not a container object, so there is no </P>.  You can throw it
> in, and most browsers won't mind.  It's not a required element, though.
>  <P> is just a paragraph seperator, not a container.
> Hope that helps!

On the contrary, such misinformation is damaging. Please check your
sources before posting answers. I refer you to RFC 1866.

For anyone that was confused:

1) p is a container. The start tag is <p> and the end tag is </p>

2) the end tag can be omitted (but is never wrong), because the DTD was
   expressly designed that way. The parser can reliably infer the missing </p>
3) This example contains some text in a paragraph and some text not in
   a paragraph. Once you start using stylesheets, these two may be rendered
   Text not actually in a paragraph
   Text in a paragraph

If you want them both to be in a paragraph, use:

   Text now in a paragraph
   Text in a paragraph

Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |
| Computer Graphics Unit,             Email: |
| Timezone: UTC        URI: |