links and cgi-bin output

Philippe-Andre Prindeville (philipp@res.enst.fr)
Tue, 19 Dec 95 07:22:29 +0100

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 95 07:22:29 +0100
From: Philippe-Andre Prindeville <philipp@res.enst.fr>
To: www-html@www10.w3.org
Subject: links and cgi-bin output

Hi.

        This may be a simple question, but...  It isn't at all obvious to me.

        I have a cgi script that translates a document into HTML, and
inserts link points into it in the form of <dt id="..."> and <p id="...">.
So far, simple enough.  The document may have many of these...

        Now, when I generate a reference to one of these link points within
the document,

which is supposed to run the converter script for "word=run", and go to the
anchor <p id="V.3."> within that document, this doesn't seem to work...

        Am I missing something?  Can't you make a reference to an arbitrary
point in a URL when the URL is a CGI script output?  Does this only work
for precomputed (ie. static) documents?  I thought the positioning took
place within the browser, anyway...

        What gives?

Thanks,

-Philip