Re: HTML 3 DTD? [was: frames ]

Joe English (
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 10:41:09 PST

Subject: Re: HTML 3 DTD? [was: frames ]
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 10:41:09 PST
From: Joe English <>

Daniel W. Connolly <> wrote:

> In an effort to:
> 	(1) get folks to validate documents that use stuff beyond HTML 2.0
> 	(2) get folks include a DTD when proposing a new feature
> 	(3) learn what document structures are supported by authoring tools
> 	(4) specify uses of the text/html media type for stuff beyond html 2.0
> I'm collecting HTML DTDs and DTD fragments, and putting them on the web. It's
> not a registry yet, but it could become one if that looks valuable.

I have written a preliminary DTD for Netscape Frames.
Details are at <URL:>.
This is a just a wrapper around the HTML 2.0 DTD, so it does
not include any Netscapisms other than Frames.

(The comments in the DTD say that it is known by the FPI
"-//Netscape//DTD HTML with Frames//EN", although to
my knowledge Netscape has *not* approved it and does not
support it.   I should probably change the owner identifier;
any suggestions as to what I should use?)

I've also got a wrapper that adds the Tables fragment from
draft-ietf-html-tables-02.txt with the RFC1866 DTD; I can
send you that too if you don't already have one.

> I'd also like to get folks to say what DTD their documents conform to, ala:
> <!doctype HTML system "">
> 	<title>...</title>
> or perhaps even:
> 	<!doctype HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 24-March-96//EN"
> 	<title>...</title>

This is an excellent suggestion.

--Joe English