style sheet scalability (was: Specifying style notation in <link>)

Walter Ian Kaye writes:

 > Can an IMG have a "note" attached to indicate (1)its intended dots per
 > inch, and (2)whether non-integral (i.e., other than 100%, 200%, 300%...)
 > scaling should be allowed?

In CSS1:

1) any element can have a suggested width, e.g.:

    IMG.icon { width: 0.5in }
    P        { width: 400px }

   Using a width property is more general than dpi which is only
   useful for images.

2) No, some people have suggested properties to help the rendering of
   image, e.g. if dithering should be allowed, colormap strategies
   etc. These properties can easily be added later if necessary.

 > My 72dpi title graphics come out "tiny" (so I'm told) on 100dpi monitors,
 > and I'm wondering if there's any way to keep bitmaps and text more in sync
 > with each other.

The "magnification" property will help here. By changing one property,
the user (or author) can scale all length properies by a certain
factor. If scalable fonts are available to the reader, images and text
should follow each other closely. Your screen will unfortunately
remain ths same much-too-small size.

For more information see http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/css/draft

Regards,

-h&kon