Re: HTML and Search Engines
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 16:38:31 -0400

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 16:38:31 -0400
Subject: Re: HTML and Search Engines

Jay Kammerzell <> writes:
>Is there a way that standard document data could be included
>in a referenced document for WWW search engines to glean rather than
>taking the first few lines of that document?
>It would seem that having some set of attributes that didn't display
>but was available to a search engine could improve database searches and
>make the returned information more meaningful.

A common way of expressing a set of keywords or other searchable info is
with the META element. Here's what I consider a good example from one of my

   <META name="resource-type" content=document>
   <META name="description" content="The ArtMetal Project is a volunteer
   venture of a group of metalsmiths and organizations who strive to
   discuss and disseminate information concerning various aspects of
   working artistically with metal.

   ArtMetal is bringing to the Net a main location for the world wide
   archiving of metalworking information.  We even store individual
   artists work for display in the ArtMetal Gallery.">

   <META name="keywords" content="art, metal, sculpture, furniture,
   jewelry, casting, lighting, designer, gallery, blacksmith, artist,
   architect, iron, forging">

   <META name="distribution" content=global>

I've seen this type of implementation used on a number of search engines.
As META is extensible and HTML has no other *explicitly stated* method of
including document meta-information, this seems the most likely method,
although others are feasible. This is at least a true HTML 2.0 compatible
(as per the latest draft) method.

[1] ArtMetal Home Page:

      Murray M. Altheim, Information Systems Analyst
      National Technology Transfer Center, Wheeling, West Virginia