Re: Proposed Text Flow Attributes for HTML 3.0

Paul Prescod (papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca)
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 17:30:48 -0400

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 17:30:48 -0400
To: Kevin Atkinson <kevina@clark.net>, www-html@w3.org
From: papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Prescod)
Subject: Re: Proposed Text Flow Attributes for HTML 3.0

At 12:18 PM 8/21/95 -0400, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>Just something to think about.  I thing my text flow attribs fall under
>the same level of significance as some of the above tags. (ALIGN, WRAP, etc.)

These are convenience attributes.  When there become too many of them, HTML
becomes a big, complex language and that's inconvenient.  I would argue that
there are already too many of them, and that they continually confuse and
mislead people.

I don't think that there is an SGML-compatible way to specify an extension
interface for attributes.  Otherwise we could take them out of the HTML
standard and treat them as a "standardized formatting extension."  It would
at least be clear to people that they were _not_ like the other parts of HTML.

 Paul Prescod

Paul Prescod (mailto:papresco@calum.uwaterloo.ca)