Polite Request

Jon Wallis (jw@scitsc.wlv.ac.uk)
Thu, 03 Aug 1995 08:05:31 +0100

Date: Thu, 03 Aug 1995 08:05:31 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org
From: jw@scitsc.wlv.ac.uk (Jon Wallis)
Subject: Polite Request

Polite request
--------------
Could I suggest that when people send replies to messages on the www-html
list that they *include* enough of the original message to which they are
replying (or the thread so far) to make the reply comprehensible.

I frequently get messages that consist of a reply to a question I know
nothing about (and can't easily deduce from the response).  This (a) is
irritating and (b) means I may be missing out on a interesting discussion
(which is irritating too!)

This is especially the case when the reply is sent To: the original sender
and Cc:'d to the list, as it feels like I'm eavesdropping on a private party.

Just a thought to help make the list more usuable.

Best regards,

--
Jon Wallis         Senior Lecturer in Information Systems Engineering
School of Computing & I.T., University of Wolverhampton, UK - WV1 1SB