Re: HTML and not being cached!!

Daniel W. Connolly (
Tue, 01 Aug 1995 08:23:35 -0400

To: (Christian Dackus)
Subject: Re: HTML and not being cached!!
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 1995 08:23:35 -0400
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <>

In message <v01510101ac43b19356d7@[]>, Christian Dackus writes:
>My quetion:
>How can I prevent my HTML-page from being cached. I want my HTML-page to be
>uploaded from a server everytime the user asks the page. This is because
>this page changes constantly.

I assume this HTML page is being delivered via HTTP. Hence
this is really a question about the behaviour of HTTP clients
and servers. Have you checked the HTTP spec? How about your
server documentation?

7.1 Entity Header Fields
Sun Mar 12 18:36:52 1995

|7.1.8 Expires
|The Expires field gives the date/time after which the entity should be
|considered stale. This allows information providers to suggest the
|volatility of the resource.  Caching clients (including proxies) must
|not cache this copy of the resource beyond the date given, unless its
|status has been updated by a later check of the origin server.

See also:
Hypertext Markup Language - 2.0 - Document Structure
Fri Jun 16 19:56:22 1995