Re: Seriffed and sans-serif fonts?

Brian Behlendorf (
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 17:03:21 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 17:03:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject: Re: Seriffed and sans-serif fonts?
To: Philippe-Andre Prindeville <>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <>

On Wed, 19 Apr 1995, Philippe-Andre Prindeville wrote:
> I've been thinking about another HTML related issue in a project
> we are working on here...  We need to control whether some text
> (which is heavily annotated) is rendered in seriffed or sans-serif
> fonts.  Why?  Simple.
> Examples of usage of text and idioms are given in seriffed fonts.
> Comments on the utilisation and the parts of speech, ie. the
> annotation itself, needs to be rendered in a sans-serif font.
> It doesn't really matter which: universe, avant-garde, helvetica,
> geneva, etc.
> So, we have the notions of "text" and "meta-text", ie. text on
> the text itself.  Bold and italic aren't sufficient for denoting
> the difference.  The meta-text itself can in turn be <strong> or
> <em>...
> Can we introduce a new mechanism?  <ss> (for sans-serif)?

Instead, let's do this:

<TITLE>My Document</TITLE>
<STYLE notation=experimental>
samp.font = sans-serif

And now we have some <SAMP>idioms</SAMP>.

Look at and decide,
if <SAMP> isn't quite the one you want which one is.  If you can't decide
and want a few more choices, take the HTML 3.0 DTD and modify it to allow
your own semantic tags (as long as you make sure the only thing you label
as text/html when you dish these files out is really HTML).

Own your data!