Re: NCSA Mosaic not freeware

Jacob C Kesinger (n9146070@rowlf.cc.wwu.edu)
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 13:21:01 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 13:21:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jacob C Kesinger <n9146070@rowlf.cc.wwu.edu>
To: Joerg Rhiemeier <rhiemeir@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <www-html@www10.w3.org>
Subject: Re: NCSA Mosaic not freeware

On Wed, 12 Apr 1995, Joerg Rhiemeier wrote:

> Thomas Mohr <mohr@lts.sel.alcatel.de> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> Actually, the situation has become MUCH worse than that: Spyglass have sold
> the code to MICRO$OFT.  Guess what they'll do about NCSA Mosaic as soon as
> they have MS Mosaic out!  Currently, NCSA shells out betas for evaluation
> purposes (as Netscape does), but I assume that MS will stomp that out VERY
> quickly.
>
> The last free version of NCSA Mosaic was 2.4, which was released before
> they sold their code to Spyglass.  There are some improved versions coming
> from places like Tuebingen University which are based on NCSA Mosaic 2.4,
> but I fear Micro$oft's law department will find a way to illegalize these
> versions as well.

What about Xmosaic 2.5?  And the 2.6 beta?  I can't even find a license
for them.
Did UIUC actually sell the code to Spyglass or just put them in charge
of commercial apps?  And aren't there other licensed commercial
versions?

  --Jake "You can have my XM2.6b when you pry it out of my cold dead
          hands with the production release" K.

Jake Kesinger  n9146070@cc.wwu.edu
http://rowlf.cc.wwu.edu:8080/~n9146070/  SF, Pratchett, Deverry
"I feel strongly that society needs to condemn a little more
and understand a little less"--John Major