Re: NCSA Mosaic not freeware

Jacob C Kesinger (
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 13:21:01 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 13:21:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jacob C Kesinger <>
To: Joerg Rhiemeier <>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <>
Subject: Re: NCSA Mosaic not freeware

On Wed, 12 Apr 1995, Joerg Rhiemeier wrote:

> Thomas Mohr <> wrote:
> [...]
> Actually, the situation has become MUCH worse than that: Spyglass have sold
> the code to MICRO$OFT.  Guess what they'll do about NCSA Mosaic as soon as
> they have MS Mosaic out!  Currently, NCSA shells out betas for evaluation
> purposes (as Netscape does), but I assume that MS will stomp that out VERY
> quickly.
> The last free version of NCSA Mosaic was 2.4, which was released before
> they sold their code to Spyglass.  There are some improved versions coming
> from places like Tuebingen University which are based on NCSA Mosaic 2.4,
> but I fear Micro$oft's law department will find a way to illegalize these
> versions as well.

What about Xmosaic 2.5?  And the 2.6 beta?  I can't even find a license
for them.
Did UIUC actually sell the code to Spyglass or just put them in charge
of commercial apps?  And aren't there other licensed commercial

  --Jake "You can have my XM2.6b when you pry it out of my cold dead
          hands with the production release" K.

Jake Kesinger  SF, Pratchett, Deverry
"I feel strongly that society needs to condemn a little more
and understand a little less"--John Major