Re: Writing a GREAT HTML editor!

James HG Redekop (tzoq@csd.uwo.ca)
Fri, 7 Apr 95 14:18:32 EDT

From: James HG Redekop <tzoq@csd.uwo.ca>
Subject: Re: Writing a GREAT HTML editor!
To: lee@sq.com
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 95 14:18:32 EDT
Cc: www-html@www10.w3.org, tzoq@csd.uwo.ca (James HG Redekop)

> Adam Thodey <athodey@engin.umich.edu> spake thus:
>
> > Make it a WYMIWYG type program (What you MEAN is what you get!!) :)
>
> There I agree.  I'd say, start with SGML validation.  Look at James Clark's
> SGML parser (nsgmls) for a start.

 I took a course in structured documentation this year, and one of the speakers
 on SGML had a great term for the kind of editor they used.  Not "What You
 See is What You Get", since what you get depends on the fonts/window size/
 includes/excludes that the user was useing.  Rather, it was "What You See is
 No Surprise".

 James H.G. Redekop                         Free confidential counselling for
 tzoq@publix.empath.on.ca                         SURVIVORS OF DECONSTRUCTION
 tzoq@csd.uwo.ca                                           Call 1-800-MEANING
 http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~tzoq/    Ap(point)ments may be continually postponed.