What in the world happened to this list?

Shannon the Cannon writes:
 > Isn't there someone who has some control over the
 > postings?

Yes. You. And everybody else on the list.

 > Dan! Come on you must have some pull around here. Please,
 > someone take a little control, weed out all the crud and get back to some
 > of the real issues.

Is this a call for a moderated mailing list? Is this a call to
turn this list into a moderated list?

	*** Are you volunteering to moderate? ***
	*** to write a FAQ? ***

IMHO, moderating this list is not the best use of my time, and I
venture to say that the consortium members (who pay my salary) would
agree. If you're a consortium member and you think otherwise, speak
up.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but until a leader emerges, anarchy
is the only rule.

Dan

p.s. what we really need is better tools for collaborative discussion,
so that you could benefit from my recommendations (if you like them)
without my having to go through a lot of hassle, and so folks
who don't like my recommendations wouldn't be constrained by them.

I try to spend my time building those tools, rather than manually
moderating discussion fora.