HTML BNF

Brian Behlendorf (brian@wired.com)
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 13:58:39 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 13:58:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@wired.com>
Subject: HTML BNF
To: www-html@www0.cern.ch

I couldn't quite find an answer to this in the HTML 2.0 RFC (and I don't
know SGML well enough to determine this) so I thought I'd bring it here.
What characters are *not* allowed between quotes in an attribute tag?
Specifically,

<INPUT type="hidden" name="foo" value="[some text]">

So far in my testing I've determined that " and > are not allowed there -
the former treating that as the end quote, the latter interpreting it as
the end of the INPUT tag.  I can handle those two special conditions fine
- is there anything else that I should worry about?  Or should I do
something really ugly like uuencode whatever data I want to put there?  :)

	Brian