Re: Processing instructions for style tweaks?

Dave Raggett (dsr@hplb.hpl.hp.com)
Wed, 30 Nov 94 18:13:35 GMT

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Processing instructions for style tweaks?
To: www-html@www0.cern.ch
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 18:13:35 GMT

Dan's suggestion for using processing instructions for DSSL lite inside
HTML and other SGML docs seems fine, although like Steve, I would prefer
the PI to following the start tag.

One idea, I am putting forward for HTML 3.0 is a mechanism to subclass
tags based on the value of a generic style attribute. This allows you
to say in the style sheet: render this subset of <P>s different from
the rest of the <P>s without having to use IDs to refer to each instance.
This way we can keep style sheets applicable to a broad class of documents
rather than ending up with one per document, that you need with the ID based
treatment. Dan's suggestion provides a complimentary approach which is
great for when you want to override the style settings for just one element.
--
 Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> tel: +44 272 228046 fax: +44 272 228003
  Hewlett Packard Laboratories, Filton Road, Bristol BS12 6QZ, United Kingdom