DOCTYPE definition

Alessio Bragadini (abragad@di.unipi.it)
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 12:36:26 +0100 (MET)

Subject: DOCTYPE definition
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 12:36:26 +0100 (MET)
From: Alessio Bragadini <abragad@di.unipi.it>

Maybe it's a FAQ, but I'm a little confused about the use of the
DOCTYPE definition in HTML 2.0, like

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3O//DTD W3 HTML 2.0//EN">

The practical problem is that LaTeX2html and other converters insert
this tag at the beginning of the translated document, but weblint, the
tool that I run for HTML syntax checking, complains about its use.

May someone explain me the status of this stuff?

Thanks
Alessio Bragadini

           Alessio F. Bragadini - University of Pisa, Europe
       <A href="http://www.di.unipi.it/~abragad/">(more here)</A>
                            abragad@di.unipi.it

               "You must remember this, a sig is just a sig."
                             (From Casablanca)