Re: Style Sheets for HTML

Dave Raggett (
Thu, 2 Jun 94 11:49:41 BST

From: Dave Raggett <>
Subject: Re: Style Sheets for HTML
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 94 11:49:41 BST

As editor for HTML+ (henceforth known as HTML 3.0) I am grateful for your
contribution. The general feeling is that we want to constrain HTML from
growing into an ever larger and more complex format. Style sheets provide
a way of expanding the presentation info without complicating the semantic
markup that is needed for true platform independence.

Your suggestion to develop HTML into a suite of architectural forms has
a lot of merit and will allow us a clean way of borrowing from HyTime.
Right now our work is cut out for short term objectives, but I hope to
surface for fresh air later this year. Perhaps we can consider these
ideas for HTML 4.0?
Best wishes,

Dave Raggett

Hewlett Packard Laboratories              email:
Filton Road                               tel:   +44 272 228046
Stoke Gifford                             fax:   +44 272 228003
Bristol BS12 6QZ
United Kingdom