Re: Browser differences within <PRE> tags...

Robert Kemmetmueller (rskm@VNET.IBM.COM)
Fri, 1 Jul 1994 12:56:09 -0500 (CDT)

Date: Fri,  1 Jul 1994 12:56:09 -0500 (CDT)
From: Robert Kemmetmueller <rskm@VNET.IBM.COM>
To: Multiple recipients of list <www-html@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: Re: Browser differences within <PRE> tags...

>Being
>able to mark up text within <PRE> or <PLAINTEXT> tags would help alleviate
>some of HTML's formatting limitations.

Whoa-hoah, hold the phone there; I thought the whole _point_ of the
<PLAINTEXT> tag is so that no further parsing for markup need be done on
the remainder of the file (e.g. for performance reasons).  At least,
that's what I remember reading in the spec...

But getting back to the <PRE> tags, yes, you can have markup inside it,
and the effects of nested tags should be _cumulative_.  [at least, _I_
feel strongly that they should be].

It seems to me that if <PRE><B>text</B></PRE> is not rendered in a BOLD
TYPEWRITER font of the SAME SIZE, it's a bug (or "inadequacy") in the
browser.  AIX Mosaic, for example, can't even do
<B><I>bolditalic</I></B> correctly, so I wouldn't use it as the
definitive example of how things ought to be rendered.

                          Robert Kemmetmueller
                              rskm@rchland
                                 3-4968