HTML 3.0 FORM

Michael Johnson (michaelj@relay.relay.com)
Fri, 16 Dec 94 08:52:14 EST

Subject: HTML 3.0 FORM
From: michaelj@relay.relay.com (Michael Johnson)
To: www-html@www0.cern.ch (HTML discussion list)
Date:    Fri, 16 Dec 94 08:52:14 EST

The HTML 3.0 DTD for FORM reads:

  <!ELEMENT FORM - - %body.content -(FORM) +(INPUT|SELECT|TEXTAREA)>

If I understand this right, this means that INPUT, SELECT and TEXTAREA would
be allowed *anywhere* inside a FORM, which would seem to be undesirable to me.
For example, you would not want something like this to be legal:

  <TABLE>
  <TR>
  <INPUT type=radio name=joe value=blow>
  <TD>foo
  <TD>bar
  </TABLE>

Would it be better to revert to the HTML+ way of doing things, and make INPUT,
SELECT and TEXTAREA part of the %special entity? Unfortunately, this would
allow INPUT, SELECT and TEXTAREA to be used outside of a FORM, but I think
this might be the lesser of two evils.

Of course, I could be reading this wrong, in which case "never mind".

Michael Johnson
Relay Technology, Inc.