HTML Validation [was: Processing instructions for style tweaks?]

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@hal.com)
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 11:10:45 -0600

To: foulser@zymurgy.boston.sgi.com
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <www-html@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: HTML Validation [was: Processing instructions for style tweaks?]
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 11:10:45 -0600
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@hal.com>

In message <199412131648.LAA01909@zymurgy.boston.sgi.com>, Dave Foulser writes:

>I agree that servers should serve valid HTML, but disagree that they
>should contain validation code. You only need to validate a piece of
>HTML once, whereas you typically serve it many more times.

Right.

> Thus I'd
>suggest a three-pronged approach:
>
>1. validation tool for hand-written HTML

As an example, please see:

	http://www.hal.com/~markg/HaLSoft/html-check/

I use this in combination with CVS to maintain my web space: I
have a development copy of my documents, and when I think they're
ready for release, I do:

	% cvs commit

the cvs commitinfo config file fires up html-check on *.html, and
if any of them aren't valid, the commit bombs out. I fix the
errors, and try again.

Works good. Give it a try!

Dan