Re: "People should not write HTML"

Joe English (jenglish@crl.com)
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 11:05:52 -0800

To: Multiple recipients of list <www-html@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: Re: "People should not write HTML"
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 11:05:52 -0800
From: Joe English <jenglish@crl.com>

John C. Mallery <JCMa@wilson.ai.mit.edu> wrote:

>     Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 09:05 EST
>     From: michaelj@relay.relay.com (Michael Johnson)
>
>     >People should not be writing html; programs should.
>
>     Excuse me? That's a load of hooey if I ever heard one.
> No WYSIWYG editors?  Microsoft is coming.....

Yes, but just because GUI editors exist doesn't mean
that everyone should have to use them.  Given a choice
between using vi on a Unix box and using anything from
Microsoft on a PC, I for one will stick with vi :-)

> [...] I've got my own abstractions so
> whatever level of empircism is wedged into the standards will never get in my
> way.

That's probably the best approach.  I rarely use
HTML markup for any important data; it's better to use a
DTD that encodes information relevant to a particular
type of document and down-translate it to HTML for presentation.
That's what HTML is for, after all...

--Joe English

  jenglish@crl.com