Re: Draft HTML 3.0 DTD

Steven J. DeRose (sjd@ebt.com)
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 21:36:50 -0500

Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 21:36:50 -0500
To: mag@ncsa.uiuc.edu, Multiple recipients of list <www-html@www0.cern.ch>
From: sjd@ebt.com (Steven J. DeRose)
Subject: Re: Draft HTML 3.0 DTD

>By the way, I don't know of any spiffy examples for the applicability of
>VALIGN, but this is another case where Carl (the aforementioned programmer)
>said "Sure, that'll be easy".  That's one of the few additions necessary
>for us to come up to the full 3.0 tables spec.  Carl says he will probably
>be able to finish that one tonight.

To get nice examples of gory tables, open a semiconductor manual.

Also, there has been a major effort to standardize encoding for
such, which turned out, perhaps surprisingly, to find that the
CALS table model was more or less sufficient (also, that DTD is very
simple *if* you decide to ignore the million "oh, you could
also put that info over there instead" options and just use it
the obvious way).