Re: Proposed SUBDOC support in HTML

Earl Hood (ehood@imagine.convex.com)
Tue, 23 Aug 94 17:11:49 CDT

To: www-html@www0.cern.ch
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: Re: Proposed SUBDOC support in HTML
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 17:11:49 CDT
From: Earl Hood <ehood@imagine.convex.com>

> I'm not sure what you mean by this. It's awkward, if not meaningless
 [ stuff deleted ]

Terminology police on the prowl ... :-)

> 	<DOCTYPE paper PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//3.0" [
> 	<!ENTITY ch1 SYSTEM "ch1.html">
> 	<!ENTITY ch2 SYSTEM "ch2.html">

I believe the entity declarations should be:

 	<!ENTITY ch1 SYSTEM "ch1.html" SUBDOC>
 	<!ENTITY ch2 SYSTEM "ch2.html" SUBDOC>

The SUBDOC keyword is important, because it tells the SGML validator (or
in this example, the Web client), that the entity defines a reference
to a complete document (i.e. contains its own DOCTYPE declaration).  This
distinction is important because the SUBDOC feature insures protection
from name spacing conflicts between the main document and the subdocument.

	--ewh