Re: XHTML Test Suite Minimal document

"James F. Carter" wrote:

> I'm sorry to have not been very active in this project, but a number of
> pressing matters came up.  I'll try to be more timely in future.
>
> If you would like to have a look, I have some material at
>     http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc/html40-test/index.html
> I went through the HTML-4.0 spec and tried to put together one of
> everything.  Mostly I bypassed CSS style effects in favor of deprecated
> tags and attributes, though a few CSS effects are illustrated.
>
> As the intended audience was not the worldwide community, my texts lack
> some items (like section references for everything) which in retrospect I
> probably should have put in (and probably will put in).  Also, I suspect
> that I have identified some tags as inline when the standard actually
> intends them to be block level.  And the material tests HTML-4.0 and has
> not been updated for XHTML.

I will look this over soon.

> Shane's tool sounds good, in which the test document is actually a form and
> it is backed by a CGI that accumulates user judgements on each test.
>
> However I see one problem with that method: if the test suite is hosted on
> W3C's server the CGI deposits the results on W3C's server, to which the
> user has no access.  You would have to download the test suite (with its
> CGI) and install it on your own server, which is completely appropriate for
> a developer such as Netscape, but which couldn't be managed by students or
> third parties evaluating browsers.

It is sort of magic.  There are server functions that give you access to
your results remotely.  They are stored on the server, and maintained
there.  User's are limited to the amount of sessions they can save (for
space reasons).  They can perform regression analysis, generate result
reports, generate test specifications, and just print them or save them
locally in HTML format.