RE: [XHTMLAccess] i18n comment 2: Keycode or character

(personal response)

I think this text moves in the right direction, but think that there may still be problems with it. Mainly, I think it is now unclear how the 'key' attribute is supposed to work, given that the word key is both disclaimed and also used to mean (or at least imply) actual keypresses.

It should be noted that there is not a well-defined solution to this problem. WebAPI has been struggling with this also. In practice, how physical key events and character input are related is normally handled at a fairly low level in the system. Higher level software that attempts to listen and respond to key press events often ends up damaging or disabling more complex input systems, such as the IMEs (input method editors) used to compose e.g. East Asian text.

(chair hat ON)

Thanks for the response. The I18N WG will review your response and text in detail. Our next teleconference is today.

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.