Re: Serving the Most Appropriate Content to Multiple User Agents from a Single Document Source, W3C Editor's Draft 24 October 2008

Thanks for your comment.  Actually, the language used in that example,
XHTML 1.1, does not permit the use of the lang attribute.  The working
group is considering permitting the use of @lang in XHTML 1.1, since
this would help to resolve this inconsistency in the model.  For now, we
need to leave it off.