[editorial?] ambiguous English logic in "new attributes" SHOULD clause

From: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:27:15 -0400
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

** proposed change

*from

<quote
cite="http://www.w3.org/TR/curie/#s_syntax">

Language designers SHOULD only use CURIEs (or safe_curies) as the
datatype of new attributes in their markup language, since using them
in values where historically an attribute has taken a URI as its
datatype could break backward compatibility.

</quote>

Language designers SHOULD use CURIEs (or safe_curies) as the datatype
for new attributes only.  Using them in values where historically an
attribute has taken a URI as its datatype could break backward
compatibility.

** discussion

I think that the 'to' version says what you want, and says it more
clearly.  I can't swear that the 'from' version is ambiguous -- there
may be grammarians who would parse it unambiguously.  But since I
misunderstood the intent to be "all new attributes should use CURIEs"
on the first pass and only understood what you intended after
finishing the sentence, be forewarned that others might read it wrong.

Al
/self