Re: Technical information (DTD 4.01) : Is it possible to omit HEAD and/or BODY tags within HTML tag ?

From: Jens Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:37:07 +0200
To: "Dubuc Jean-Pierre" <jdubuc@oqlf.gouv.qc.ca>
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org
> The HTML tag declaration specifies that HEAD and BODY tags are mandatory
> within the HTML tag itself, and in that specific order, but in the HEAD and
> BODY tags declarations, it's possible to ommit those tags in the HTML
> document ? How can that be ?

These tags are still "there" […], even when you omit them: "A user
agent must ensure that rendering is unchanged by the presence or
absence of start tags and end tags when the HTML DTD indicates that
these are optional" [1] (best spec ref I could find ad hoc).

> Or do you have any detailed DTD editing documentations, references, … I
> could refer to, so I would have all the knowledge to fully understand the
> HTML 4.01 DTD ?

Maybe it's tutorials like W3Schools' DTD section that can help in that regard.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/conform.html#h-4.1
[2] http://www.w3schools.com/dtd/

--
Jens Meiert