Re: Question about nested XForms actions and ev:observer

From: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:48:10 -0700
To: Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Cc: "public-forms (new)" <public-forms@w3.org>, public-forms-request@w3.org, www-html-editor@w3.org
Hi Erik,

Yes, the inner action can have event attributes on it, yes they will set
it up as handler, and yes the inner action still does run as part of the
outer action even if it has event attribute on it.

The same set of statements would be true of XML events elements were used
to remotely refer to the inner action and set it up as a handler for

When the so-called inner action is directly invoked to handle the event
for which it is directly registered, it is not considered to be an "inner
handler" just because it is inside of another xforms action. Specifically,
it will execute deferred updates when finished if it was directly invoked.
 It only continues to defer updates if it is executed by the outer

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Senior Technical Staff Member
Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed:

Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Sent by: public-forms-request@w3.org
05/16/2008 04:32 PM

"public-forms (new)" <public-forms@w3.org>
Question about nested XForms actions and ev:observer

Consider the following submission, located in a proper place so that
the outermost <xforms:action> element can react to a DOMActivate event:

<xforms:action ev:event="DOMActivate">
     <xforms:send submission="my-submission"/>
     <xforms:action ev:event="xforms-submit" ev:observer="my-
     <xforms:action ev:event="xforms-submit-done" ev:observer="my-

A few questions:

* Is it legal for the nested actions to have ev:event and ev:observer

* If so, do the nested <xforms:action> element actually register as
event handlers on the specified observers?

* Are those executed in the flow of the outermost action, if that
action is triggered?

PS: Clearly, I could write these actions as follows:

<xforms:action ev:event="DOMActivate">
     <xforms:send submission="my-submission"/>
<xforms:action ev:event="xforms-submit" ev:observer="my-submission">
<xforms:action ev:event="xforms-submit-done" ev:observer="my-

But still, bear with me and assume I want to do the nesting, for the
sake of seeing these questions answered ;-)