Re: XHTML Strict 1.1 Validation vs 1.0

Hello,

Le 2 avr. 08 à 07:10, SRJC a écrit :

> Hi:
>
> I teach HTML at the Santa Rosa Junior College in Santa Rosa, CA. I
> expect all student work to pass XHTML 1.0 Strict validation. I see
> now that XHTML 1.1 is an option. I'm not sure this is a new
> development or if I just happened to stumble across it for the first
> time. I just noticed it in the Tidy Firefox plug-in.
>
> Should we change our validation to 1.1? Is there a validator for
> 1.1? If we should be validating to 1.1, what do we need to do
> differently?

There is but minute _practical_ differences between XHTML 1.0 Strict
and XHTML 1.1 (in theory, the latter is supposed to pave the way for
modularization, but it never really caught on)

I found a real stopper for me in XHTML 1.1: it doesn't allow the
":lang" attribute anymore; only "xml:lang" is possible. And "xml:lang"
can't be styled with CSS...

This really is an issue only for localisation/internationalisation-
conscious people (using different languages in one document, such as a
quote, an etymology, a foreign book...), but this led me to revert
back to XHTML 1.0

Bottom line:
• If you want the latest version, use it
• If you don't care, do whatever you want
• If you need styling foreign words in a clean way (no hack), stick to
XHTML 1.0