[XHTML-Role] Remove role attribute in http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:35:10 +0200
To: shane@aptest.com
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org, "Aaron M Leventhal" <aleventh@us.ibm.com>, schwer@us.ibm.com

Hi,

As Aaron Leventhal and I have discussed, we (Opera and Mozilla) will
remove support for the role attribute in the http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
namespace and only keep support for the role attribute in no namespace on
elements in the http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace. Therefore we
suggest to update the spec accordingly.

Suggested spec changes:

   * Remove the second list item from the document conformance criteria.
     (Note that it is inappropriate to require a namespace *declaration* --
     it should be permissable to build up a DOM using scripting and DOM
     APIs with the correct namespaces but no namespace declarations.)

   * Remove the host language conformance class. The only host language
     that this Module will apply to is XHTML 1.1.

Cheers,
--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software