XHTML 1.1 media types

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:05:27 -0000
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

 From the new working draft of XHTML 1.1:

> XHTML 1.1 documents SHOULD be labeled withthe Internet Media Type
> text/html as defined
> in [RFC2854]

Which says:

       In addition, [XHTML1] defines a profile of use
       of XHTML which is compatible with HTML 4.01 and
       which may also be labeled as text/html.

... making no mention of XHTML 1.1.

> or application/xhtml+xml as definedin [RFC3236]. For further information
> on using
> media types with XHTML, see the informative
> note [XHTMLMIME].

Which says:

       In general, this media type is NOT suitable for
       XHTML.

and

       The use of 'text/html' for XHTML SHOULD be limited
       for the purpose of rendering on existing HTML user
       agents, and SHOULD be limited to [XHTML1] documents
       which follow the HTML Compatibility Guidelines.

and to paraphrase the summary tables:

       XHTML 1.1 SHOULD NOT be served as text/html

Additionally, as far as I know, nothing added in XHTML 1.1 (i.e. Ruby
annotation) is supported by legacy user agents. So there seems little
point in allowing it to be served as text/html.

I propose the following change:

XHTML 1.1 documents SHOULD be labeled with the Internet Media Type
application/xhtml+xml as defined in [RFC3236]. They SHOULD NOT be labeled
with the Internet Media Type text/html as defined in [RFC2854]. For

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>