[xhtml2] block/inline distinction leads to unnecessary duplication

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <benjaminhawkeslewis@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:36:34 +0100
To: www-html-editor@w3.org

Hi,

This is a comment for "XHTML 2.0"
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xhtml2-20060726/
2006-07-26
8th WD

Extracted from http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2006Sep/0030.html

About http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xhtml2-20060726/mod-structural.html#s_structuralmodule
      http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xhtml2-20060726/mod-text.html#s_textmodule

The so-called "structural" distinction between block and inline elements
leads to the confusing bifurcation of q/blockquote and code/blockcode
(and discussions about a possible address/blockaddr). I've not yet read
anything that persuades me that block and inline are not presentational
qualities, as the ability to style elements block or inline with the CSS
display property suggests. Could we move block/inline styling into the
normative stylesheet?

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis