Re: The xhtml:onkeypress architecture

Jim Ley wrote:
> On 2/14/06, Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:
>> Misha Wolf wrote:
>>  > I can't view this spec using IE 6 !
>>
>> I can, so the problem is at your end :-)
>
> How can you be so confident that it's not your installation of IE that
> is the broken one?

Spot the smiley, Jim. I asked Misha for more details.

I'm currently in deep discussions with several people simultaneously
spread over the world trying to track this down.

>> It could be that you are sending application/xhtml+xml in the accept
>> headers, and so being sent that version, which IE cannot process.
>
> Er.
> $ wget --header="Accept:application/xhtml+xml"
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/xhtml-modularization
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 406 Not Acceptable
>
> So it's unlikely that is the issue...

Quite.

> Much more likely is the fact that the rendering is just broken,
> possibly you want to take note of Appendix C of XHTML 1.0, as it
> specifically highlights the problem many of us are having.
>
> Better would be of course to simply use a HTML version that doesn't
> have such arcane "rules" to actually allowed to be served as
> text/html.
>
> It also directly touches on the confliction in XHTML 1.0 Appendix C.
> of C.1 and C.14, you might want to ask the HTML Working Group how the
> issue against that conflict is coming along, it's likely relevant to
> you here too.

At the moment we have apparently identical versions of IE giving
different results on different machines, so we are still looking it to
what could be causing some people to be able to see it, and others not to.

It's not being served as XML, so C14 shouldn't be relevant here, but it
may be IE's bogus sniffing that is doing the damage.

Thanks for your help Jim.

Steven