nesting colgroup and rowgroups

From: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:32:49 -0500
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
Cc: www-html@w3.org

The colgroup example discusses grouping permanent and local contact
information separately.  Even within these groupings, there may be
subgroupings, such as physical address vs phone number.

I would prefer that a colgroup could contain other colgroups (and a
rowgroup other rowgroups).  If this has been rejected, I would like to
see at least a brief summary of the reasoning behind the limit in that
section of the spec.